Sunday, February 17, 2013

Hot Cocoa Mix

Hello all!  I am turning my thoughts to camping and getting ready to get out there and enjoy nature!  The other night, I made up a batch of hot cocoa mix which I put into Mason jars and sealed with my vacuum sealer.  It was meant for my food storage, but then son #3 reminded me that we will be using it while camping.  Yes, even in the summer we make hot cocoa.  I know kind of weird.  My daughter and I don't drink coffee, so we have hot cocoa while dad and the boys have their coffee around our morning camp fire.  The boys also add the cocoa mix to their coffee.

 

Here is the recipe I used this time:
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup cocoa powder (dutch-processed if available)
2 1/2 cups powdered non-fat milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Mix all together and prepare to enjoy.  I use 3 heaping tablespoons into a mug of hot water.  Mix well.  YUM!!
This will make 2 1/2 cups of mix.  This will fill up a quart jar and you will have a little bit left over.  Next time I do this, I am going to put it into smaller bags and then seal with my vacuum sealer.  This way it will be safer for our backpacking trips ...  don't have to worry about broken glass jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment